Over the past few Blog Posts I have been introducing the new piece of software that I will be using that is Adobe Premiere, as well as a few different techniques that I will more than likely be using within the program itself. The next stage, however, is to start to carry out some research into this next stage of the assignment. In a similar vain to that of Blog Post 37 - Disc Cover Label Research, I feel that at this early stage of the design for this third and final stage of the assignment it is important to get an idea of what has been already been done. As well as getting some inspiration for what I could possibly use in my own promotional video it is also a chance to see and evaluate what different elements have been included in the promotional videos too.
With this in mind I decided to have a look what trailers had already been published in relation to that of the series' of Ashes To Ashes. As these were going to be video based I decided to use the video sharing website of YouTube which would hopefully enable me to find a wide range of different trailers that I could then review.
The first trailer that I found on YouTube was infact the first short promotional video that the BBC released for the new series of Ashes to Ashes and that can be seen on the embedded video below or on this link (http://youtu.be/MO_Kox2GCws). This particular trailer for the new series is only 40 seconds long and therefore falls short 20 seconds to the minute long production that I will be making in Premiere, however even taking this into account there is a lot of content packed into this 40 seconds and the time was used well. As this was the first trailer to be published for the new series it was important that all of the key details were included however it was also important that they were included in such a way that was engaging and interesting to the viewer. This trailer is one that incorporates all of the different elements that needed to be included as to give the impression of the sort of program that the viewer could expect to watch - a brief introduction voice over one of the main characters, a hind of 1980s music, 1980s clothes and fashion, the use of violence and also that of the other main character of the Audi Quattro too. The ending was strong, too, with the main character Gene Hunt saying his infamous line of "Fire Up the Quattro" which since the series has been a well known saying adopted to the series.
Another trailer that I once again found on YouTube which can be found below or on the link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzsmkbuFSc) is that for the second series of Ashes to Ashes. With this being the second series of the show it was evident that less of a full and formal introduction into the series was needed and this meant that there is no voice over that features at the beginning explaining the series. This particular trailer is actually exactly one minute long, so this is exactly the same length as to the promotional video that I will be making. Taking this into consideration I think that it is important to take into account the number of different scenes and also the length of them too. To begin with, Gene Hunt and the team are seen to be driving around past a nightclub in London which lasts for around 15 seconds and in this time as to keep the viewer intrigued there are scene changes to that of a dodgy deal occurring inside the nightclub. This was also combined with an over dubbed classic hit 1980s soundtrack that is very recognisable, as well as some fast and swift driving with wheel spins and J Turns. Once inside the club the next 30 seconds shows different angles of apprehending the gang inside with the obligatory violence here and there. Moving back outside the remaining 15 seconds shows the gang being locked up into the police van, and finally at the end cuts to the team standing in the alleyway with the Audi Quattro and then an over dubbed voice informs the viewer of the new series and a catchline. All in all a very action packed trailer than makes good use of the time and does not feel rushed at all. Certainly by researching this I feel that this has given me some potential ideas as to the route that my promotional video trailer might take.
The third trailer that I found once again on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QElmmrc_iP0) which can be seen below or on the previous link is in relation to the Third Series, which was also the final planned series of this series. As this was going to be the final series of the program and there was going to be a conclusion to the mystery behind just why Alex was back in the 1980s there had to be an element of surprise and tension build up in the trailer and this is evident throughout the trailer. Length-wise, this particular trailer is much shorter than the others as it weighs in at just 29 seconds long, however in a similar vain to the 40 second trailer that I first looked into, a lot is packed in and it is also very effective too. The BBC producers of this trailer once again opted for a 1980s song to act as the backing track, and this was well chosen with it being the final series as the song choice was The Final Countdown sung by the 1980s hit band called Europe. This play on words was something that i particularly liked and thought was effective. Once again throughout the trailer there is a large amount of violence which portrays the sort of series that would be on offer this time, as well as the introduction of what would be a very key player in the series, Jim Keats. The end result of the trailer as a whole produced a very intriguing result and personally would make me wish to see it.
Having looked at three different promotional video trailers for that of the series of Ashes to Ashes, I feel now that I have created a good basis to return to in regards to later on in the project. By compiling these and discussing them, I feel that this will help me in regards to the design stage of this third stage of the assignment, not only in regards to inspiration as to what I could use, but to also revert back to in the future too. With this in mind, I feel that the next stage of this assignment that I will be looking into is in regards to the design stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment