Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Blog Post 59 - Stage 3 - Adobe Premiere - Video Effects

Video Effects

Following on from the audio effects blog post, this blog post will be in regards to the Video Effects that are available in Premiere. In a similar fashion to that of the Audio Effects, these are both not something that is requirement in the specification minimum requirements however personally I feel that I would like to go over and above the specification. Also, I am confident that I will make use of both Audio and Video Effects in my promotional video and therefore I feel that this will be a worthwhile exercise to carry out. 


As can be seen on the first screen print there is once again a very wide range of different video effects available to use and therefore giving a great deal of flexibility when producing a video in Premiere. In regards to this blog post, I have decided that it would not be a productive use of my time to go through the entire range of different audio effects that are on offer, however I will instead pick a selection that I feel that will be of use to me in the future.

Example of Brightness/Contrast
The first video effect that I have decided to investigate is that of Brightness & Contrast which is housed under the sub-category of Colour Correction. Within this sub-category folder of colour correction there are a range of different effects that can be applied to video clips that you have on your timeline and they are all in relation to adjusting the appearance/colours of the video clip. In regards to Brightness & Contrast this particular effect is one that I feel will be very useful indeed when I come to making my promotional video. By being able to adjust both the brightness and contrast of a video clip this will be very useful when you are splicing together a range of different clips from different sources. For example some clips might be filmed outside and when brought together next to clips that are from a darker environment (inside a building) then the difference might be too noticeable and not produce an aesthetically pleasing or professional looking appearance. With this in mind by using this particular effect this means that the difference between two particular clips can be adjusted and make for a better end result. I am glad that I have decided to look into this particular video effect as I feel that this is definitely something that I will be using when I get to the stage of making my promotional video. As an example of the use of Brightness and Contrast being changed, this screeprint shows that the Brightness of the clip has been changed to -50, which meant for a darker appearance.

Example of Horizontal Flip
The next video effect that I have decided to investigate is that of the Horizontal Flip effect which is housed under the sub-category of Transform. Within this sub-category folder of the image control there is a range of different types of effects in relation to changing the look of the video clip, and as the name suggests this particular effect is one that will flip the appearance of the clip on the horizontal axis. This could be quite a useless effect to use if you was looking to create the appearance of more than one piece of scenery, or even to make room for titles or credits to make the end appearance more professional and aesthetically pleasing. However it is worth bearing in mind that when flipping the video clip it is important to pay attention to the details of the video clip to ensure that nothing is overlooked. For example, in the screenprint here you can see that in comparison to the previously mentioned Brightness and Contrast effect the entire video clip has been flipped, however it is very much worth noticing and bearing in mind that due to this the vehicle registration mark on the car is no backwards and does not look right at all. Obviously this is something to bear in mind for the aspect of ensuring the the appearance and end result is kept professional. All in all, though, I am glad that I have looked into this effect as I am sure that as long as care is taken into the details of the use then there will be no problem for using it, and it is possibly something that I will consider using when I come to making my promotional video.

Example of Fast Blur
The next video effect that I have decided to look into is that of the Fast Blur effect which is kept under the Blur & Sharpen sub-category in Premiere. As the name suggests, in this sub category there are a range of different effects that can be used to either Blur or Sharpen a video clip of you choice in your project. I decided to have a look at Fast Blur as this could be something that I may possibly use in my promotional video, and this is due to the fast blur giving a good effect of speed. As you may have guessed, this could be potentially useful in that if I wished to add a bit more of a dramatic speed effect to my promotional video, in regards to a possible car drive by. This can be seen in the attached screenprint which shows quite a harsh fast blur being added which in comparison to the other screen prints above shows a very blurred effect. This particular effect is one that I could well decide to use in my promotional video and therefore I am glad that I have looked into this particular effect.

Having looked at the above video effects that just a small selection that are available in Premiere, another effect that I also looked into is that of Green Screening, however as this was looked into in much more detail this will take form of a separate blog post to fully explain this. All in all I am glad that I have looked into some of the different video effects that are available in Premiere and by doing so I am glad that I have as this will be benefit me in the future in regards to the production of the promotional video.

No comments:

Post a Comment