Saturday, 3 May 2014

Blog Post 80 - Stage 3 - Copyright

YouTube and Copyright
The issue of copyright was something that I really had to take into consideration when creating my promotional video, and it is for a few reasons that I decided to wait until my video was complete to compile a blog post on this matter. The first reason was that a during the creation of my promotional video the copyright issue was something that I had to ensure that I was not falling foul of from different sources, and therefore it was important that I knew exactly what I was dealing with.

Within my promotional video although I decided to record the majority of the footage myself, there was of course elements that I had to use that were subject to that or copyright laws. One way that I thought about sourcing the video clips that I wanted was by taking this footage from the DVD release of the different series of Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars, however I would fall foul of the copyright law as this would mean that I would then be able to freely distribute these how I would like.

KeepVid
With this in mind the issue of copyright was something to take into account, but luckily in my position of being in education these strict copyright laws do not apply and I am able to use these for educational purposes. As you will have seen from that of the previous Blog Posts I was able to gain access to the video clips that I needed by making use of the video sharing website YouTube, and it is worth bearing in mind that there were indeed copyright issues to deal with (for further information please see Blog Post 8 whereas I visited this in more detail) however YouTube does have information in regards to the Creative Commons license that are available for some content. However, as the footage that I was going to use was that of being originally from the BBC this meant that copyright was still an issue. However, this would only be an issue if I was doing this in industry, however as this is for educational purposes this allowed me to use this.

To get hold of these videos, though, I was able to utilise a video download website called KeepVid - www.keepvid.com - which allowed me to insert the URL link to the YouTube video, select the quality and if I would like just the video or audio, or both, and then download.

Having now discussed the information in regards to copyright I can now move onto the penultimate stage of this assignment which is in regards to the exportation of the Stage 3 - Promotional Video.

No comments:

Post a Comment