Saturday, 3 May 2014

Blog Post 78 - Stage 3 - Editing and Compiling - Audio Effects & Transitions

As previously explored in Blog Post 58, I researched into and reported on a range of different Audio Effects that were available in Premiere and in Blog Post 56 I looked into the different Audio Transitions that were available as well.

As mentioned in these previous blog posts I was definitely intending to use some of these in my own promotional video, and now that the promotional video is nearing completion it is now the time to make use of these.

Exponential Fade
The first Audio Transition that I decided to make use of was that of the Exponential Fade. This was one of a number of different audio transitions that I researched in the past however for this situation I decided to use it to fade down one part of the background music for two reasons. The first reason was that of fading the music down as to ensure that the speaking scene (Scene 5) was able to be clearly heard, but also as it was after this speaking scene that I wanted there to be a change of background music too. With this in mind I decided to have an incredibly subtle fade to this first piece of background music, as I really wanted the end result to be as seamless and as professional as possible. With this in mind I decided to start the exponential fade at the beginning of the speaking scene and carry this onto the end of this scene. By doing this, this meant that there would be a gradual fade of the music and in practise this meant that the spoken words were also very much audible too.

Constant Gain
The next Audio Transition that I was to make use of was that of Constant Gain. This was once again one of a number of different audio transitions that I researched in the past, and in this situation I decided that Constant Gain was the best for a few reasons. To begin with, following on from the Exponential Fade from that of the first piece of background music, after the speaking scene of Scene 5 this meant that I was now in a position to introduce that of the second piece of background music. As this was directly after the fairly quiet speaking scene I did not wish for this to be an instant appearance as this would not have been professional or seamless and therefore not the result that I was looking for. With this in mind the Constant Gain audio transition was used to ensure that the introduction of the new piece of the background music was faded in smoothly and seamless over a short period of time.


Exponential Fade and Constant Gain
For the next Audio Transition I decided that I was actually going to made use of both the previously used Exponential Fade and that of the Constant Gain too. The reason behind this is that I wanted to create another seamless transition between that of the end of the last piece of the background music that I discussed, and also that of the spoken element of Scene 12. I decided to do this as the spoken element of this particular scene is very important and therefore it was critical to ensure that there was a seamless transition between the two as I wanted there to be a smooth transition between the too. When placing the Exponential Fade it was very important to take into consideration that of where the fade would begin. This is due to the fact that I wanted to ensure that I kept the last line of "I Fought The Law, but the law won" and so that the fade did not cut this off. All in all, though, I was happy with the way that this fade worked and it created a seamless transition between the two. 


Exponential Fade
The next Audio Transition that I decided to use was once again that of the Exponential Fade. By using this audio transition I wanted to end that of the promotional video by ensuring that the audio was faded out smoothly. As can be seen here on the screenprint, this is shown by the exponential fade being used to fade out that of the booming sound effect. I chose to fade this out as I felt that a more professional ending would be that of a smooth fade out with that of the title conclusion remaining on the screen. This could also be looked at from the other direction in that if there is no audio then the viewers will be more inclined to read what is on the screen and take not of it - therefore hopefully they will remember the title and also the release dates so they will go and see this potential film in the future.


Audio Gain
In regards to Audio Effects, I decided that I wanted to put more emphasis on that of the boom sound effect and I thought that it was a little quiet at this point in time. With this in mind I decided to adjust the Audio Gain of this piece of audio. For this I was able to Right Click -> Audio Gain... and this meant that I could Adjust the Gain by 10DB. It was important to not go overboard with the adjustment, say but increasing by 50DB as this would result in a total distortion of the audio and totally defeat the point of the audio gain being adjusted. By adjusting this by 10DB this mean that there was a noticeable increase in the volume/gain of the booming sound effect however with minimal distortion issues. I also used this same technique for that of the gun shot sound, too.

Having now discussed and explained how and also why I went about using different audio effects and audio transitions within the promotional video, this means that I can now move onto discussing the different Video Effects and Transitions that would be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment