In the last blog post I talked about how I went about the design and also the filming stage of getting the footage that I needed for the second part of the promotional video whereas original footage was going to be used. Now that I have explained how I went about getting this footage I am now in a position to edit and compile the footage that I took to get it to a stage of being able to be used in my promotional video trailer.
The first stage before editing and compiling was to import all of the video clips that I had taken and then ensure that they had been correctly stored and placed in the previously created Project Bins. A Project Bin is something very similar to that of a Layer Group found in both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere, and I decided to use different Project Bins as by using these this would mean that it would be much easier for me to organise all of my clips that I would be using. To begin with, once I had transferred the video clips from the camera to the computer I was able to import the clips and place them in the My Source Clips project Bin.
For this second part of the original footage as previously mentioned I broke this down into five different stages/scenes, and therefore the explanation of editing and compilation will follow that same order too:
Scene 1 / 5 - Car Chase Begins
 |
| Scene 1 / 5 - Trimmed and Added |
For this first scene after I had finished filming I knew that a fair amount of trimming of the clip was going to be needed and this was certainly the case. To begin with, the total length of this clip was 18:10 seconds long and I decided to start recording early as to capture the entire sequence of the Mercedes accelerating towards where the Capri was staged, and then also a panning effect for the Capri driving past and also a short feature of the Capri accelerating off into the distance chasing after the Mercedes. Once again I decided to make use of both the Mark In and Mark Out points in Premiere which meant that I was able to choose the exact selection that I wanted for this first scene. I wanted to ensure that the pace of this collection of scenes was not slow, and therefore I decided on a tight selection of the key action, as to not waste unnecessary time in the trailer and also ensure that the appearance of a car chase was given across. With this in mind the clip was trimmed to a Mark In point of 09:28 seconds and a Mark Out point of 16:16 seconds therefore giving me a total of 6:88 seconds for this clip. Once I was happy with the selection then the clip could be firstly dragged from the Source Viewer to the My Trimmed Clips project bin, and then drag this to the timeline into the Video 1 and Audio 1 timeline areas.
Scene 2 / 5 - Mercedes Drive-By
 |
| Scene 2 / 5 Trimmed and Added |
For this second scene of the original footage, unlike that of Scene 1, not as much trimming was going to be needed as of that of the first scene however some trimming was going to be needed anyway. As this was also a driving shot and this involved the Mercedes being driven past at speed it was important to keep the scene short and snappy to ensure that the fast appearance of the car chase was kept in place. With this in mind, the total length of the original footage was only 02:09 seconds long and I decided to use the Mark In and Mark Out points in Premiere to choose the exact selection that I wanted for this second scene. In regards to the Mark In point this was decided at 00:17 seconds and with a Mark In point of 01:22 seconds. Not very long at all however as explained this was just a quick scene and therefore would be fine and give the intended effect. Once I was happy with the selection then the clip could be firstly dragged from the Source Viewer to the My Trimmed Clips project bin, and then drag this to the timeline into the Video 1 and Audio 1 timeline areas.
Scene 3 / 5 - Capri Drive-By
 |
| Scene 3 / 5 Trimmed and Added |
For this third scene of original footage, this was actually going to be rather a similar scene to that of Scene 2, however instead of the Mercedes being driven past at speed, the Capri was being driven past at speed which I was going to capture on video. This was to highlight the effect of the car chase element with the Mercedes first going past with a panning effect, and then the Capri then going past with a panning effect too. Once again as this was a driving shot and this involved the Capri being driven past at speed it was important to keep the scene short and snappy to ensure that the fast appearance of the car chase was kept in place. With this in mind, the total length of the original footage was 06:01 seconds long, so a little longer than that of Scene 2, however I once again decided to use the Mark In and Mark Out points in Premiere to choose the exact selection that I wanted for this second scene. In regards to the Mark In point this was decided at 02:12 seconds and with a Mark In point of 03:21 seconds. Not very long at all however as explained this was just a quick scene and therefore would be fine and give the intended effect. Once I was happy with the selection then the clip could be firstly dragged from the Source Viewer to the My Trimmed Clips project bin, and then drag this to the timeline into the Video 1 and Audio 1 timeline areas.
Scene 4 / 5 - Car Chase Corner Drive-By
 |
| Scene 4 / 5 Trimmed and Added |
This this fourth scene of the original footage, I decided to include this scene as an alternative angle for the car chase, with the element of speed hopefully coming across due to the two cars following closely and driving around the corner at speed. The total length of this clip was slightly longer than that of the others being 09:06 seconds as I want to ensure that I had sufficient space for movement of trimming when it came to editing. It was also convenient that another car went the other way on the road which made it all really more realistic, even if that member of the public did not know what was happening...! I once again decided to trim the clip down so that it was short and snappy as to emulate that of the quick chase scene. With this in mind the Mark In point was 5:00 seconds and the Mark Out point was 06:20 seconds - so just over a second long however all adds to the swiftness of the chase effect. Once I was happy with the selection then the clip could be firstly dragged from the Source Viewer to the My Trimmed Clips project bin, and then drag this to the timeline into the Video 1 and Audio 1 timeline areas.
Scene 5 / 5 - Car Chase Ending
 |
| Scene 5 / 5 Trimmed and Added |
With this being the fifth and final scene to this part of the original footage, and also the last piece of footage that I would be using in the promotional video, as mentioned previously I wanted to end with simulating that of capturing the criminal. By standing on top of a stack of hay bales this meant that I had a good aerial view of the area to be filmed, and for the ease and flexibility of production I decided that I would record the enitre scene and not just the small selection that I intended to use. With this in mind the total length of this clip was 05:19 seconds and the Mark In point that I chose was that of 03:01 seconds and a Mark Out point of 05:12. I decided on this as by choosing the Mark In point of 03:01 this meant that the Capri was seen to be accelerating, but also this mean that you could not see the hay bales stack that I was standing on which I felt would of detracted from the overall appearance of the scene and not produced a professional finish. Once I was happy with the selection then the clip could be firstly dragged from the Source Viewer to the My Trimmed Clips project bin, and then drag this to the timeline into the Video 1 and Audio 1 timeline areas.
With all five scenes now successfully trimmed down, added to the appropriate project bins, added to the timeline and playing back in the order that I wanted, this meant that for this particular part of the Original Footage this was finished and ready to be used in my promotional video along with the other footage and details.
No comments:
Post a Comment