Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Blog Post 19 - Stage 1 - Completed Design: Spine - Title

My finished design for Stage One: DVD Amaray Case Wrap
Having completed the discussion and explanation of the front over, this next stage is in regards to the Spine of the DVD Cover. In comparison to the Front Cover, the spine has much less content however I will still discuss these elements in full detail. For reference, my finished design is posted here. In regards to the different elements of the Spine, these will include the following which will be discussed and explained; Background; Title; Logos. Therefore the second element that I will discuss is that of the Title.

Title
Following on from the background of the spine and now that is in place and has formed the basis for this element, the next phase was in regards to the Title. It is very important for the Title of the DVD to be prominently featured on the spine of the DVD, as this will instantly make it recognisable if, for example, the DVD is on a shelf full of other DVDs and someone is trying to choose a DVD to watch. With this in mind, the Title had to be prominent and also I felt to keep to the professional approach of design, should follow the house design. By house design I mean that the font should be same as for the design to neatly tie in.

For this I once again decided to use the font that I used for the title on the which was WrestleMania. To start with, I clicked on the Horizontal Type Tool which allowed me to select and area where I would be placing the text, and also select a point size. To begin with, I simply selected the font WrestleMania with a Point Size of 40 and typed my text of Mirror Man. At this stage the font was black in colour, however unlike that of the front cover I decided to stick with this as it did work well with the grey coloured background. After this had been completed, I now had to rotate the Mirror Man text so that it was in the correct orientation for the Spine. With this in mind, having finished entered text the Move Tool was selected, and by hovering the mouse the perimeter of the text a a rotate icon was displayed. At this point I could click and pull the text around to 90 Degrees which is displayed on screen as a useful indicator. Once the text was displayed at 90 degrees (I chose this so that it was exactly vertical) I decided to manually resize the text so that it fitted exactly in the safety area of the spine. With this in mind, when resizing the text, the Shift key was held down at to not disturb the correct orientation of the text and skew it. Once I was happy with the location of the text, clicking on the confirmation tick at the top of the screen confirmed the changes and therefore the Title was successfully placed on the Spine.
Title added to the Spine in House Style
With this element of the Spine now completed, the final part could now be started which was the Logos.
References
DaFont - Link - Last accessed 28th February 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment