 |
| My finished design for Stage One: DVD Amaray Case Wrap |
As mentioned in Blog Post 11, the first element of the DVD Case Wrap that I will be explaining and evaluating is that of the front cover. The front cover will consist of a large range of elements which when brought together form the front cover. For reference, my finished design is posted here. In regards to the different elements of the front cover, these include the following which will be discussed and explained: Background, Trio of Cars, Gene Hunt Portrait, Title, Tag Line, Miscellaneous Icons/Logos. The next element that will be explained and discussed is that of the Miscellaneous Icons/Logos...
Miscellaneous Icons/Logos
Prior to starting the final stage of the Front Cover, I thought it best to commence a bit of research in regards to the logos and icons that had previously been used on the Ashes to Ashes DVD covers in the past. Looking at my previous research, namely from the collage that I created in Blog Post 6 for the DVD Cover Research. With this information in hand, I decided that there would be a total of three different logos; BBC Logo, 15 Rating; DVD Video Logo.
 |
| DVD Logo |
I decided to start off with the DVD Video Logo, and to do so I opted to use Google Images (www.images.google.co.uk) and Bing Images (www.bing.com/images) to source the DVD Video logo that I wanted to use. When researching it became apparently to me that there were a number of different variations, and not only was it important to me that I selected and used the correct one but also that the selection was complimentary to the design and worked well with what I already had on the design. With that in mind, I opted for the DVD Video pictured here as a base. As you can see, though, this features a large white background personally I felt would not of been at all complimentary to the rest of my design so this was an area that I definitely had to rectify. The first stage was to double click on the Background Layer which meant that I could then unlock it from editing and begin work on the image. Once again, I opted for the Quick Selection Tool.
 |
| DVD Video Logo placed on the cover |
To begin with, I decided on a 50 Point and 100% hardness which allowed me to swiftly select all of the elements of - this was particularly easy to carry out due to the high contrast between the black logo and the white background. Once I was happy with the selection I then navigated to Refine Edge and the selection was going to be output to that of a New Document. Then, this layer was duplicated into the DVDAmarayCover Photoshop file. Once the cut out logo had been duplicated into the DVDAmarayCover Photoshop file, I could then move it around and also resize it to my desired located. I personally felt that it looked best in the bottom right hand corner of the front cover, which was also in keeping with previous DVD cases too, and most importantly it doesn't overpower the rest of the design which was important to me. When placing the logo in this area of the cover, I was careful to ensure that the logo was in the Safety Area of printing, which you can also see in the image here.
 |
| BBC Logo |
The next logo that I was going to include on the front cover was that of the BBC Logo. I once again opted to use Google Images (www.images.google.co.uk) and Bing Images (www.bing.com/images) to source the logo that I wanted to use. Once again there were a lot difference varieties to that of the BBC Logo, so I looked back to the previously used Logos that had been used on the past DVD Covers and by doing so I managed to find a logo that I thought was appropriate. Similar to that of the DVD Video logo, the BBC Logo also featured a large white background which personally I felt would not of been at all complimentary to the rest of my design so this was an area that I definitely had to rectify. The first stage was to double click on the Background Layer which meant that I could then unlock it from editing and begin work on the image. Once again, I opted for the Quick Selection Tool.
 |
| BBC Logo placed on my cover |
To begin with, I decided on a 45 Point and 100% hardness which allowed me to swiftly select all of the elements of - this was particularly easy to carry out due to the high contrast between the black logo and the white background. Once I was happy with the selection I then navigated to Refine Edge and the selection was going to be output to that of a New Document. Then, this layer was duplicated into the DVDAmarayCover Photoshop file. Once the cut out logo had been duplicated into the DVDAmarayCover Photoshop file, I could then move it around and also resize it to my desired located. I personally felt that it looked best in the bottom right hand corner of the front cover, which was also in keeping with previous DVD cases too, and most importantly it doesn't overpower the rest of the design which was important to me.When placing the logo in this area of the cover, I was careful to ensure that the logo was in the Safety Area of printing, which you can also see in the image here.
 |
| 15 Age Classification Logo |
The final logo that I was going to use, which would also be the final element to the front cover too, was the 15 Rating Certification. As per usual, I started off by using Google Images (www.images.google.co.uk) and Bing Images (www.bing.com/images) to possible find a 15 certification logo, however the results found were very poor. It was obvious that the resolution of the logos were very low and therefore not of a quality that I would like to put onto my front cover. With this in mind, I decided that further research was going to be needed and therefore thought whereabouts these logos would be sourced from as they are a standard logo that every DVD should feature. Therefore, I then found the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC, for short) (www.bbfc.co.uk), who deal with all the classifications for films and DVDs. Searching around their website I was able to locate a downloads section whereby I was able to download the vectorised file of the logos.
 |
| 15 Age Rating Logo on the cover |
Once downloaded, my 15 certificate was firstly opened up in the vector program Adobe Illustrator, whereby I could Export this logo and place it into my DVDAmarayCover. Once this was in the file, I could then move it around and also resize it to my desired location which I felt was going to be best suited just above the BBC Logo, but also having an equal distance between the edges so that the appearance and presentation was consistent. I also considered the previous DVD Cases and the classifications logo was also in this position too which I felt was best to keep an in house theme of continuity.
With this being completed it was now time to move onto the next stage of the DVD Front Cover which was the Spine.
References
BBFC Logos - Link - Last accessed 4th March 2014.
BBC Logo - Link - Last accessed 4th March 2014.
DVD Video Logo - Link - Last accessed 4th March 2014.
No comments:
Post a Comment