Thursday, 20 March 2014

Blog Post 15 - Stage 1 - Completed Design: Front Cover - Title

My finished design for Stage One: DVD Amaray Case Wrap
As mentioned in Blog Post 11, the first element of the DVD Case Wrap that I will be explaining and evaluating is that of the front cover. The front cover will consist of a large range of elements which when brought together from the finished front cover. For reference, my finished design is posted here. In regards to the different elements of the front cover, these include the following which will be discussed and explained: Background, Trio of Cars, Gene Hunt Portrait, Title, Tag Line, Miscellaneous Icons/Logos. The next element that will be explained and discussed is that of the Title...

Title
The Title for the DVD was one element where a fair bit of imagination was going to be needed as it was important for this to make a good impression as it is the first thing that anybody will look at when looking at a DVD Case; the name of the cover. The previous series' of Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars were both hit singles of the well-known singer David Bowie so my first thoughts was to research what other title hits I could use that David Bowie had produced. Looking on David Bowie's own website (www.davidbowie.com) allowed me to look through all of his previous hits, however I must admit to not thinking that any other hits of his fitted the title of this next series DVD. In light of this I decided to consider other artists of the 1980s, and The Human League came to mind, and in particular their hit single of "Mirror Man". Mirror Man was a song that was realised in 1982, so was perfect age wise, too, and as I would find out later on in the production of this DVD Case, would nicely link into a few other features on the case.

DaFont and the WrestleMania Font used
With this in mind and that I had decided on the title of Mirror Man, this meant that I had to move onto choosing the most suitable font that I could use. To start with, I clicked on the Horizontal Type Tool which allowed me to select and area where I would be placing the text, and also select a point size. To begin with, I simply selected the font Arial with a Point Size of 50 and typed my text of Mirror Man. At this stage the font was black in colour, and due to the very dark background at the top this was not very effective at all. So with this in mind I changed the font colour to white which make it stand out much more and increase the contrast. Looking through the different fonts that were available as standard in Photoshop unfortunately I didn't feel that any were that fitting and matched the image that I was anticipating. Therefore I decided to visit the font website called DaFont (www.dafont.com) which allows you to view, search and download (mostly for free) a vast array of different fonts. 

Title using the WrestleMania Font
You could literally spend hours and hours looking at all of the different fonts on offer, however in the Retro category I found a font called "WrestleMania" that I felt gave a very nice font offering. What also drew me to this font was that the M lettering had a very nice artistic continuation of the lettering which made it very unique. With this in mind, I downloaded this font package from DaFont and installed it onto my computer. Heading back to Photoshop I could then change my Mirror Man text to that of WrestleMania, slightly increase the size to 64 points and arrange in such a way that was still in the safety area whilst maintaining an attractive looking position on the front cover. With this element of the cover complete, I was now able to move onto the next feature of the front cover which was the Tag Line.

References
DaFont - Link - Last accessed 28th February 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment